26 September 2009

My cat, Sam.


This is Sam.


I became the proud owner of Sam in September of 1993, while enrolled at the University of North Texas in Denton. She was going to be tossed because she was the runt and the pet store owner would not take her. My roommate Katherine stashed her away in the Sunglass Hut, where she worked, until I was available to pick her up. When she came home with me, she was smaller than our cordless phone.

She used to ride around on my shoulder: to take the garbage out, to study at my desk, while sitting on the couch . . . She was so wild back then! She would crawl up anything (person or thing) that was standing still, just like a squirrel or a bear--using all four legs. She played soccer with milk jug tops, and fetched fan chains and twist ties--she still does! She has even spent time in kitty jail at the Humane Society in Franklin, Tennessee. She's kind of a bad-ass . . .

Sam has been my pet and friend now for 16 years. So, today, I wish her a very happy birthday!

To another 16!

No comments:

Post a Comment