10 July 2011

Preliminary Images & Artist Statement for Deliciously Happy.

As a community artist, I develop a dialogue with youth about issues they are facing. These conversations frequently bring up questions I am exploring in my own work, sparking new ideas. This continuing dialogue becomes the content of finished artwork.

I create installations and performance pieces that are spontaneous and site specific. I use abstracted subject matter that references cakes, confections, or clouds. Comfort, escape, and playfulness are depicted through the use of bright color, compositions with lots of movement, and allude to childhood and memorable celebrations.

I try to evoke the same sense of enthusiasm and liveliness that one observes when children discover and interact with new things. Imagination, wonder, and invention are the driving force behind my work. Integral to my process is building relationships and collective collaboration.

Partnering with 3 Nashville schools (a charter, a public, and a private) in tandem with a weeklong workshop with Belmont sculpture students, and participatory venues for artmaking during the gallery show, I will facilitate artmaking as engagement for the community by the community. Social justice-based projects will be explored by means of performance and costuming as a tool for finding creative solutions.

Deliciously Happy will feature the work created within these partnerships and workshops, and feature projected animation and process documentation that interacts with costumes, colorful props, and stage pieces, demonstrations and invitations for the audience to join in.



No comments:

Post a Comment