31 July 2012

Vegemite.


So I was invited up to my friend Tanya's house for the inaugural meal in our new apartment high-riseTanya is Australian. She--like the rest of Australia--is a huge fan of Vegemite. It's like peanut butter in the United States. I hadn't ever tried it before, so I decided to give it a shot.


Here's how our meal started out: banana cake (deliciously made by Lucy), cherries & grapes, and bread. It looks relatively simple, no? Except this is about the point when both of us realized that neither of us had a knife or a knife-like item. How were we going to get the Vegemite onto the bread?  And, how were we going to slice the cheese?


Remember how I had two swipe cards for my apartment? Well, one of them works double-time quite well as a knife-like item.  


Spreading the Vegemite proved a bit more difficult. Luckily there was lots of cardboard laying around . . . (Added protein.)


Time to eat, here goes nothing . . . Verdict? Salty goodness.  Tastes like barley. Now, if I could just get her to bring me a kangaroo, a wallaby, or even a koala bear the next time she goes home . . . Not for eating of course, but as a pet.  I could totally take a kangaroo for a walk around the neighborhood.  I wonder if they are leash-trained?  

1 comment:

  1. "Twinkle, twinkle Vegemite
    On a sandwich brown or white.
    Spread it on buttered toast
    That's the way I like it most
    Twinkle, twinkle Vegemite
    I'm ok and you're all right!"

    ReplyDelete