10 August 2012

Don't Try This At Home.


My iPhone showed up today. I was actually fine with NOT having a phone, but ended up getting one because we are required to have one with us while we are on campus. And, I figured since I was already on the Mac tip, that I would go ahead and follow the crowd. I caved . . . 

I went through StarHub, who was also in charge of my internet service. I don't have a television, so my wireless was all they had to set up. This all went rather smoothly, last week, with the help of a very nice young man in his early 20's named Jason. I signed all of the pertinent papers, and he promised my phone would be delivered to my doorstep by Tuesday night (this past Tuesday night).  

My phone never showed up. Wednesday also came and went. No phone. I finally had my friend text StarHub from her phone, but they kept saying between 630-830pm. My response? "Yes, but what day and am I paying for this??!!" Silence. 

Thursday--yesterday--was National Day, a major holiday. My phone didn't show up then either. Surprise.  

This morning I finally decided to call my very-nice-young-man-Jason. He said he would be at my house this evening at 515pm. 

515pm rolled around and I was still sitting phoneless in my white box of a living room.

Around 550pm, my crazy spy-camera-style doorbell rang. I looked at the camera and noticed Jason and another hipster-y person standing there. Both of them with briefcases. I buzzed them up, thinking:  Okay, we're good now.

They walked into my apartment, asked for my signed paperwork and employment pass.  Then they both turned to me and said, "Let's go."       

I looked at them both, cocked my head, and politely said, "Um, what?" (Apparently I had missed this during our earlier phone conversation.)  

"We have to go to StarHub at Plaza Singapura to pick up your phone."

"You mean you don't have it with you?"

"No."

I sighed. "Okay, let's go.  But, if you try to drug me or kidnap me, I'll kick both your asses."

They looked at me and grinned. At this point, I wasn't sure if I really felt okay with this whole situation or if I was just too tired to make a logical decision. But, I went downstairs and hopped in their car.   

In the car:  four 20-something hipsters, 3 guys and a girl.  And now, me.  

"Where are you from?"

"The United States.  Austin, Texas.  But, I moved here from Nashville, Tennessee."

"Oh."

"So, where are we going?"

"Plaza Singapura.  It's a big mall behind Dhoby Ghaut train station.  Have you been there?"

Feeling a bit nervous as we drove further and further away from my apartment, I said, "No. Well, maybe. Yes. Yes, I have."

Silence. 

"Want a mint?"  

"Sure." I took one, thinking the whole time about the Mentos National Day video and wondering if this was a plot to help me up Singapore's population.  

We finally get to the mall. Here I am, hanging out at a mall with 4 hipster Singaporean kids. For once, when I actually need it, I don't have my camera with me.

We finally make it to StarHub. Within seconds, I am holding my new phone. Two of my new friends had taken off to do some shopping, Jason stayed with me to make sure I was treated appropriately, and his friend/our driver had snuck off somewhere else.

As we were beginning to leave StarHub to look for the rest of our posse, Jason's friend showed up with 3 large Cokes from Long John Silver's (yes, Long John Silver's--I'm just as disturbed as you are).  

One of the Cokes was for me. Well that was awfully thoughtful!! Very nice kidnappers, have I. After asking him if he put drugs in it, I drank almost all of it in one giant swig.

We got back across the mall and to the parking garage where the car was, and our two other friends miraculously appeared.  They asked me if I wanted to go to dinner, but I was still full from the BBQ my school provided for us at the end of today. (I should've gone.)  

We got back in the car and they drove me back home, as if this was a totally normal service provided by StarHub. I thanked them profusely for the experience and went back upstairs. (Where I proceeded to text Jason an additional thank you, from my new iPhone.)

I sat on my couch and thought about the United States. Would I have gotten in a random internet service provider's car and driven across a city? With 3 of his friends also in the car? Probably not.

What strange land have I come to?? I just laughed and shook my head. Whatever, I'm in Singapore. Hilarious.

PS: Quite the phone upgrade, eh? Check it.

No comments:

Post a Comment