04 November 2012

Why I Blog & Other Things of Note . . .

I thought I would share with you why I blog. Blogging takes up an enormous amount of time and creative energy, so why do I do it?  

Two reasons . . . 

1) I blog because I really like people, places, and things; and I enjoy documenting. Recording "happenings" through video or still images makes me really happy. Blogging is a way for me to record things that I've made, things my students have made, and inspirations. By photographing people, places, and things, I feel like I've slowed down time or captured--forever--a special moment.  I like sharing these moments. 

2) I blog because I am very social and blogging is another way for me to build community and interact with people. I am a teaching artist and very involved in the arts community, so I interact in the physical world with people all the time. Blogging provides another form of social interaction: a quiet connection through images and words that could potentially reach out to people all over the world. 

I started this blog in June of 2009, when I left Austin to attend graduate school in Baltimore. Starting a blog insured I would be able to share with my family and friends what I was doing in school. It was the easiest way I could think of to send images and stories to everyone at once. And at the time, it was completely about school and the people I met during school. I'm so thankful that I kept up with it because there is no way I would remember everything that took place during that 14 months of my life: journal entries from the first few days of class, the passing of Michael Jackson, cooking with my friend Katti (the very friend I went to see recently in the Philippines), the 4 feet of snow that fell within a 2 day period and left the entire city shut down for over 2 weeks, the amazing young people I worked with at Wide Angle Youth Media, and what my visual thesis actually looked like . . . 

Now it's just over 3 years later. I've lived in California, Tennessee, and now Singapore. I've attended two universities. I've taught art classes at over 50 community and school-based locations. I've put up over 30 installations in various places. And I've met some really great, wonderful people along the way!

During this time, I used this blog as a holding place for memories and past experiences. Now it's time for a bit of an internal makeover. (On the blog, not me. Okay, well, maybe me too . . .

My goals for my blog content will stay relatively the same. I will post fun things, silly things, and everything in between. But, my posts will grow to 4-5 times per week, where before my goal was once a week. When I moved to Singapore, I realized that I had more content which meant I needed to post more often. While most of my posts will focus on art, teaching, and travel; on occasion I may post an essay I've written or images/videos of my growing nephews.  

My posts might contain questions, so I encourage your comments whenever you see fit. I also ask for your patience as I begin to do some housecleaning on the blog. I will be formatting my old posts and editing them out, mass exodus-style. And if you see a misspelled word or grammatically incorrect phrase: never fear. Chances are I've caught it and haven't had the opportunity to fix it. (I promise I read these things over a billion times before I post them . . . I am but one person. Sigh.)

Last but not least, I always post new entries on my facebook and twitter pages. But if you are interested in receiving these posts via email, feel free to send me a message.

Thank you for being a part of this . . . Now, let's have some fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment