05 January 2013

Fa La La Friends . . .

Where did the time go? I have been out-of-town for the past 3 weeks, and things--primarily blogposts--are beginning to pile up . . . It's amazing how much preparation goes into the holidays and then poof: they are over and done with, almost like they never happened. Thankfully I am a picture-taking-freak, so I am left with visual memories that keep me smiling for months.

On the night of my last day of teaching for 2012, I flew out to the United States. I split my time between Dallas, Texas and Nashville, Tennessee. It was a big trip for the very fast-paced, brief 3 weeks I was there. I ended up getting a really nasty cold that left me with a man-voice for most of my vacation. The last time I was sick was in January of 2009. Since I don't get sick often: when it hits, it hits hard. I can only attribute this to being trapped on a plane for 26 hours, then turning around and road-tripping for 12 hours. Going from extreme temperatures (humid/hot to cold/snow) didn't help matters, either.  

My trip to Dallas was primarily family-related and will be featured in future blogposts. My trip to Nashville included madcap adventures with some of my most favorite people on the planet, and having a cold did not slow me down one bit.  


Most of my time was spent in East Nashville, where I used to live and work. East Nashville is great because most of the people that I hang out with live there, so everyone is close and it's easy to get around. Not-to-mention, things are always happening: there's always somewhere that's open, a place to go.  


Lots of the people that I hung out with over the holidays are people that couple as my mentors, collaborators, or fellow artists. It was so nice to be able to catch-up with people and talk about art, process, and teaching! I was lucky to see people that I had planned to meet-up with, but also to meet new people. New people who have similar passions and creative sensibilities.



Andee (top left image) and I were lucky to catch each other on New Year's Eve . . . I was so happy to make this possible, as I was beginning to think we would miss each other! She has scheduled Buoyant Echo as part of SKyPAC's summer series, which I am totally excited about! (Corey and I went to Bowling Green to check out the space, which I'll tell you more about soon.) Andee, Stacey, and I started our New Year's Eve at Dwayne and Greg's. We had a great time. I only wish it could've lasted longer! Next summer: be prepared ladies!!

Rebecca and Gary (top right image) met me for dinner on the last night of my vacation at a fabulous little Indian restaurant in the Woodlands, centrally located. We have been friends for just over 10 years. This trip would not have been then same without seeing them. I will definitely need to schedule more time with these two on my next venture across the pond. I'm happy they were able to fit me in during this crazy holiday time!

Camilla Spadafino (above bottom image) is the almighty art teacher extraordinaire. She teaches at Lockeland Design Center Elementary School in East Nashville. This image is from our first of two meetings (she didn't approve any of the images from our second meeting, haha). We are holding globes because we are about to launch a big international art project between our students. She has been instrumental in helping me process what I am doing/how I am teaching over here in Singapore. She is a great source of comfort to me and, although we live millions of miles apart now, I know that she is someone that I can reach out to with questions, concerns, or just to brainstorm over a cup of coffee (via Skype, of course).


Rachael (above left) is one of my most favorite new people I've gotten to know in 2012. Andee introduced me to her towards the end of 2011. Rachael works for Safe Haven Family Shelter and was putting together a fundraising event called Museum and Menagerie with local photographer Allen Clark. She asked me to help facilitate the space transformation--which ended up being quite beautiful--and now we're friends! Yay! It truly made my day that we were able to make our little coffee date happen . . . I look forward to working and playing with Rachael even more in the future!

Ms. Margaret (above right) is my ceramics professor from 2007 - 2009 at the University of Texas at Austin. I was a lucky, lucky girl to be able to meet her (and Tony Sonnenberg) for a lunch at her house on the Sunday before Christmas in Dallas. I can safely say that I would not even be close to where I am now if it hadn't been for her. She is a constant source of inspiration and motivation to me. Whenever I am making something--now and forever--I always ask myself if I am doing everything I can possibly do to make this art piece what it needs to be . . . And that stems from Margaret. I joke that my mantra is:  WWMMD (what would Margaret Meehan do). But it's no joke. It was a Christmas miracle that we were able to see each other, and I hope this holiday happening continues.


Wet-Your-Whistle-Wednesday (WYWW): my church while I was living in Nashville. Brainchild of Mona (below left), WYWW was a Wednesday get-together that featured food, drinks, and karaoke. And I joined them almost every week, or as many weeks as I could! While I was in town for the holidays, we met for caroling and homemade eggnog (incredible). We caroled up and down Fatherland in East Nashville to raise funds for Fannie Battle. Above, Stacey and I are donning our crowns that we found in our Christmas crackers later that night. Dwayne (below right) and Greg also hosted a get-together on New Year's Eve. Hooray for being able to see everyone twice! But next time folks, we need a full-on Lindsey night (not unlike the marathon party or Jason's graduation party). And I want to be able to spend time with everyone. I didn't even get to see John, Jason, or Shawn. And I barely got to see Marc, Jackie, Kevin, and Laurie. Boo-ninja-boo.




The young lad you see in the image above turned 40 a mere two days after Christmas. Hard to believe that I have almost known him now for close to 10 years. His parents organized a surprise party for him in Kentucky, but I was in Dallas at the time. Happily we were able to catch up when we both got back to Nashville. It was great to see Mr. Lyons while I was in town. We laughed all the way through dinner and drinks at Chago's! As always, it was too short of a visit: I could've done with another basket of chips and some more tortillas . . . Next time.


Emma and Chris!! My two most favorite people in the world . . . And they're engaged!! Chris gave me the low-down on this big happening the day before he popped the question, which happened to be the same day I left for Dallas. I'm so excited for them! The big date is set for the summer. I snapped the following hilarious picture of them on New Year's Eve. I still think this should be their engagement picture.



Emma and I spent almost every day with each other while I was in Nashville. And still it wasn't nearly enough time. We went to No. 308 a couple of times, Edgefield once, 3 Crow once, and spent ample time sipping wine while on the computer watching videos (old and new). We even got to Skype with her mom on New Year's day, in our pajamas. Pretty!  



I wouldn't know what to do if I went to Nashville and Emma wasn't there . . . How did we live apart for so long between 2005 and 2011? She's absolutely precious and I was so happy to be able to ring in the new year with her! Can't wait until this summer!  



I don't know what it is about East Nashville that keeps me coming back for more . . . The neighborhood itself reminds me a little bit of Austin, a little bit of Brooklyn, a little bit of Lexington. The only thing I can think of are the people. The people I have met in East Nashville are completely genuine and happy. My friends there are like extended family, the cool cousins that you want to hang out with on the regular.  


One of my first days back in town found me having lunch on the lawn with these friendly ladies from the Turnip Truck. Before Lindsay (above right) and I went off to pet some cats and dogs at the Humane Society, we ate hotdogs with Tara (above, next to me) and Nicole (above, next to Lindsay). While I wasn't able to visit with everyone I used to work with at the store, I was able to get some much-needed bond time in with a few folks. It was good to see Earl, Corey, Chae, Nicole R., Matt, Sharon, Bemis, Kathryn, Nicole M., and Phillip. More please, next time. I want a whole day, people.



Kelly and Milo were a treat to meet up with . . . It was so exciting to see how much Milo had grown, just in the short 5 months that I have been gone. His verbal skills are through the roof! We went out for dinner and toyed around at their house for a bit. A few days later, Emma and I met Kelly (and Bettina, visiting from Chicago) for drinks. Kelly is my go-to gal for music. All kinds of music. And with the 5 mixed cds I brought home to Singapore with me, I should be good-to-go until this summer. Kelly is coming off of one of her best creative years yet, and it shows. She lit up talking about possibility and growth for 2013!! I am very much looking forward to this year and seeing what's in store for both she and Milo.


My last most favoritest person I got to see over the holidays was Corey (see below, next to the angels). Corey Newton is collaborating with me on a giant project called Buoyant Echo. He and I met while making sandwiches at the Turnip Truck. He is an extremely talented musician, more of which I will tell you about soon. We got to hang out quite a bit while I was in town and after Skyping with him over the past few months it was good to see him in person and see his studio, really hear him talk about his music. I can't wait to share more of our conversations with you.


I wasn't able to see everyone, and I'm truly sad about that (Bob Kucher: I'm looking at you). Hopefully I will be able to better plan how to fit everyone in during my next visit . . . It was the holidays, which can be a hairy time! I was thankful to meet new faces like Derek Gibson with OutCentral and Chae from the Turnip Truck; and share some great conversation with Carmen Noel at Barista Parlor (my new coffee joint) and Annika Best at Bongo Java.  

Happy 2013 friends! Let's keep this going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment