15 April 2014

Multi-talented: A Brief Interview With One of My Third Graders . . .

I'm so sad. My computer finally stopped responding to me. It said to me (I'm paraphrasing):  "I've had enough of you, woman; you and your thousands of images. I'm done." Teasing me of course, it would turn on like any regular laptop would, but then the spinning wheel of death wouldn't stop. And after so many spins, the computer would shut itself off again.

To make a long story short, this little snafu has put me behind in my life on the blog. 


I took my laptop to the IT department at my school, and with the help of my trusty ol' Mac-obsessed friend Jason, we turned my laptop into a hard drive and transferred everything over to a substitute Macbook for me to use until they can suss out the issues with my personal laptop.


Thank god . . . Because now I'm in India. And you know how blog-happy I get in India, right? Just you wait. Patience is a virtue.




Today I am posting an interview I did a few weeks ago with one of my most prolific and driven students, Anna. She is always experimenting with new ideas, asking lots and lots of questions, and finishing her work on time. She loves art class and is always invested in whatever it is we are inquiring about. I asked her to bring in some of her favorite pieces for me to look at, and for she and I to talk about. (Some of the work she brought in she made in art class with me and some of it she made on her own at home.)


So without further ado, I present a brief question and answer interview with the lovely Anna.

Please introduce yourself: My name is Anna, and I am in grade 3.

How long have your been at Stamford? 3 years. I may be staying one more year or longer.

How old are you? 9

Where are you from? Rio, Brazil

What languages do you speak? I am learning Chinese. But I speak fluent English and Portuguese.

What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be an artist or an actor or a vet or a biologist.


What is your favorite subject in school? Art. I like making things with clay, using clay. And I like to sketch, like to draw.

If you could make anything in the world, what you want to make? A giant piñata pig. No! A sketch of a pig. A giant pig!!

When did you start making artwork? When I was pretty young, about 3. But my artwork was just lines, they did not form anything like a face or a heart.

Do your parents do art? My mom is an author. She draws how her pictures should look. My dad works in a company. So my dad, no; but my mom sometimes.

Do you have any brothers or sisters? Yes.

Do they make art? Yes. My brother likes to make circles, faces. My sister is better than me. She makes . . . You know in Italy? Those buildings with the monsters on the top? Yeah, gargoyles!! She makes those.

Can you tell me a little bit about the mask you made here? Well when I was designing the mask, I was thinking something like two colors that would look good together. First I thought of blue and green, but it didn't look well. So then I thought the yellow and orange. It's just a design. On the rays, I did a pattern of light yellow, orange, darker yellow, and red. And on the eyes, I did a bit of orange and smaller yellow. And the smallest of all was a not-so-dark orange. And if you look upside-down, I did a pattern under the eyes: white, red, and yellow. It symbolizes a lion because lion is . . . Singapore means "lion city", I wanted to do something like Singapore. Not to look like a lion, but resemble one.


Can you tell me a little bit about the painting you brought in? The painting is me and you mixed. And I chose to be you not a cat or something else because you're my favorite teacher and we were in school. So I thought I should do something about school. In the ground, I was going to make a person. But I decided to color over it with dark green. Yes, it's me as an artist.


Anna is also enrolled in my fiber arts CCA, where we build things out of fabric. We recently finished a series of felt houses. Anna's was the tallest! She was very proud of it!


Do you have any questions for Anna? If so, please leave them in the comments section below and we'll answer them as soon as we can . . . And check out my first student-focused interview here. Happy day!

1 comment:

  1. Anna! You take my breath away! To have accomplished so much at such a young age! I love your mask and your house! And yes your drawing of you as an artist is a perfect blend of you and of your teacher!

    ReplyDelete